of Jesus Miracles
Miracles_BC Lay Saints
100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 1000 1100 1200 1300 1400 1500 1600 1700 1800 1900
|1598 1st Shrine of Our Lady in the U.S. -- Our Lady of La Leche Our Lady The Joy of The Afflicted|
Daughter of Mary and the Church
shrines in the United States
to China Marian Shrines
||550 Blessed Virgin Mary and Joan of Arc|
|Saint Mary Statues
||Miracle of the Sun in China
||China:China: government plans to blow up Marian shrine|
|India Marian Shrine
of the East
Lourdes Feb 11- July 16, 1858
China Marian shrines May 23, 1995
Kenya national Marian shrine
Apparitions (over 2000)
Quang Tri Vietnam La Vang 1798
Links to Related Marian Websites
|Inauguration of Bali's first Marian shrine
Our Lady of Aparecida, Brazil's patron saint.
|Aparecida The largest Marian shrine in the world, as well as the most popular pilgrimage site in Latin America.|
In Christian culture and practice, a shrine to the Virgin Mary or Marian shrine is a shrine marking an apparition or other miracle ascribed to the Blessed Virgin Mary, or a site on which is centered a historically strong Marian devotion. Such locales are often the destination of pilgrimages.
Many of the shrines have acquired a symbolic value for patriotism and nationalism in their area.
Among the shrines considered most significant for their apparitions:
Other shrines include:
The Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar, Zaragoza, Aragón, Spain
Our Lady of the Roses, Mary Help of Mothers at Bayside, New York
Our Lady of Walsingham in Walsingham, England
Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary, Our Lady of Manaoag in Manaoag, Pangasinan, Philippines
Holy Mary of Third Millennium at Three Fountains, Rome, Italy http://www.divinarivelazione.org/eng/index2.html
|What is a Marian shrine?
A Marian shrine is usually a place where the faithful and the Church believe Our Lady has appeared or where some miracle or other supernatural event has taken place through the intercession of the Holy Mother, whom the Chinese like to call Our Lady
|China: government plans
to blow up Marian shrine
Submitted by ABN on Sun, 2007-06-24 17:03. Politics of Buddhist Countries | Religion | China
This should come as no surprise to readers of this site. ABN
TIANJIAJING - 25 June 2007
A popular Marian shrine in Eastern Central China, is to be dynamited by local government order, because it has been designated as a centre of 'illegal religious activity'.
AsiaNews reports that the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, in Tianjiajing, with a statue of Our Lady over one hundred years old, is to be destroyed, along with 14 stations of The Way of the Cross.
.The local government has banned the annual 16 July pilgrimage to the shrine, which attracts 40,000 - 50,000 people. It has also forbidden any other religious gathering in the area.
The sanctuary was built around 1903, by a priest from the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions, Monsignor Stefano Scarsella, then apostolic vicar to northern Henan Province, to thank the Virgin for saving the community during the Boxer Rebellion.
national Marian shrine
Anniversary celebrations at Kenya's national Marian shrine
The National Marian Shrine of Kenya, based at Subukia in the diocese of Nakuru, celebrated its 20th anniversary
The foundation stone of the shrine was laid by the late Pope John Paul II, when he made his first pastoral visit to Kenya in1980. Since then it has attracted millions of pilgrims from Kenya and abroad.
A colourful Mass to mark the occasion was concelebrated by five bishops: Peter Kairu of Nakuru Diocese, Cornelius Schilder of Ngong Diocese, Martin Kivuva of Machakos Diocese, Salessius Mugambi of Meru Diocese and Virgilio Pante of Maralal Diocese.
In his homily, Bishop Kairu, the host urged the congregation to always align themselves with Mary, the mother of our Lord and the teachings of the church. He also urged Kenyans to make every effort to keep the peace, pointing out that in recent times some regions in the country including Mount Elgon, Tana River, Meru,Transzoia and some parts of his Nakuru Diocese have been hit by land clashes.
Bishop Kairu finally cautioned people to use discernment when they vote in the country's presidential and parliamentary elections later this year.
The current government of President Mwai Kibaki was elected in the year 2002 and its five-year-term elapses later this year.
Also known as Our Lady Who Appeared Memorial 12 October
Profile In October 1717, Dom Pedro de Almedida, Count of Assumar passed through the area of Guarantinqueta, a small city in the Paraiba river valley. The people there decided to hold a feast in his honour, and though it was not fishing season, the men went to the waters to fish for the feast. Three of the fishermen, Domingos Garcia, Joco Alves, and Felipe Pedroso, prayed to the Immaculate Conception, and asked God's help. However, after several hours they were ready to give up. Joco cast his net once more near the Port of Itaguagu, but instead of fish, he hauled in the body of a statue. The three cast their net again, and brought up the statue's head. After cleaning the statue they found that it was Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. Naming their find Our Lady Aparecida, they wrapped it in cloth and continued to fish; now their nets were full.
While we do not know why the statue was at the bottom of the river, we do know who made it. Frei Agostino de Jesus, a carioca monk from Sao Paulo known for his sculpture. The image was less than three feet tall, was made around 1650, and must have been underwater for years. It is a dark brown color, is covered by a stiff robe of richly embroidered thick cloth, and wears an imperial crown which was added in 1904. Only her face and hands can be seen. Pope Pius XII proclaimed her principal patroness of Brazil in 1930. It was recently vandalized by being broken into several pieces just prior to a visit by Pope John Paul II, but a group of dedicated artists and artisans carefully pieced it together again .
Lady of Vladimir
Late 11th - early 12th century, Byzantium.
The earliest references to the icon are found in the oldest chronicles (entries for 1155). The first Story was compiled in Vladimir at Prince Andrei Bogolubsky's court in the 1160s. Prince Andrei took the icon with him when he acquired the throne of Vladimir and Suzdal. He ordered for the holy image a gold case, and placed it in the new Dormition Cathedral of Vladimir. Though some miracles of the icon were known in Kiev, the peak of its glory came in Vladimir. When Tamerlane's horde invaded Russia in 1395, the image was brought to Moscow for heavenly intercession to ward off the city's doom — and miraculous deliverance did come. The Story was composed some years later, when the worship of the icon became even more dedicated. It came to Moscow for good in 1480. In the next century the icon became the palladium of Moscow and the most important among Russian holy relics. The icon is commemorated three times a year: August 26 (Moscow's deliverance from the Tartar siege of 1395), June 23 (final transfer of the icon to Moscow, and the bloodless victory over Tartars on the Ugra river, 1480), and May 21 (Moscow's deliverance from Khan Mahmet Ghirei in 1521). At these feasts there were the liturgical processions with the original icon or its copy.
The image belongs to the iconographic type known as Tenderness (Umilenie) or Eleusa. It prototyped many Russian iconographic variants of the Virgin Tenderness, connected with some miraculous icons of local worship.
Lady the Joy of All
Late 17th - early of 18th century (after 1697). From the St. Nicholas Church in Tolmachi, Moscow.
The icon is a copy of the miracle-working image of Our Lady the Joy of All Afflicted of the Transfiguration Church at Ordynka, Moscow. The worship started in 1688, after it cured the sister of Patriarch Joachim. The icon, probably, appeared in the church after it was rebuilt of stone in 1685. The history of this icon is unclear. According to one version, it was in the Church of Our Lady the Joy of All Afflicted at Ordynka on the site of the Transfiguration Church, till it was closed in the Soviet years. According to another hypothesis, the miraculous icon was taken to St. Petersburg on order of Natalia, a sister of Peter the Great, in 1711, while a copy remained in Moscow. The Moscow and St. Petersburg images have notable iconographic differences.
Known in Russia since the 1680s, the iconography of Our Lady the Joy of All Afflicted emerged under spectacular influences of several Roman Catholic types. Hence its many variants, largely differing on many points. They have only one feature in common — the figures of sufferers praying to the Virgin, the Protectress interceding for them. The St. Petersburg icon, with no such figures, is the only exception. The iconographic variant which includes both the Moscow and St. Petersburg images has the crowned Virgin in the centre (often portrayed standing on the moon), holding the Child, also crowned, on Her left arm, and surrounded by a halo — the Roman Catholic type ascending to the words of Revelation about the «woman clothed with the sun» (Rev 12:1). The variant to which the miracle-working icon of Moscow belonged adds to this image a crowd of sufferers divided in six groups — seniors, the unclothed, the sick, the afflicted, the hungry and travellers, all consoled by angels at Her bidding. These figures directly illustrate the troparion to the icon, written in a cartouche in the lower part of the composition. The Moscow icon has one definitive characteristic — four saints to both sides of the Virgin, above the sufferers — Sergii of Radonezh, Theodore of Sykeon, Gregory Decapolites and Barlaam of Khutyn.
The icon repeats the iconography of the Moscow miraculous image closely enough, and almost fully coincides with it in size. It may be seen as one of the oldest replicas of this type. It changes the arrangement of the four supplementary saints, and replaces St. Gregory Decapolites by Gregory of Neocaesarea — perhaps, due to the topographical closeness of the St. Nicholas Church at Tolmachi and the Church of St. Gregory of Neocaesarea at Polyanka.
first Marian shrine
Sanih Water, Bali's first Marian shrine, was inaugurated late last month after an eight-year wait, with more than 1500 Catholics from Denpasar parishes attended the first mass celebrated there by the Denpasar Bishop Banyamin Yosef Bria.
AsiaNews reports that local Hindu leaders were also among the congregation.
The grotto is situated in Yeh Sanih village 60 km north of Denpasar, which is governed by "desa pakraman", a system of rural leadership typical of Hinduism. During Mass, the residents sang songs typical of the area accompanied by a transitional Balinese orchestra, the "gamelan".
In his sermon, Bishop Bria called on the shrine management to "welcome all people who come seeking God's mercy". The village head Made Sukresna was present at the ceremony; he said the shrine "would not disrupt local people's lifestyle" and that villagers "know Catholicism is a recognized religion in Indonesia".
The head of another local village, Astra, added that "none of the people have complained about this place". Moreover, he said, the shrine contributed to the local economy and those managing the shrine "have established good relationships with all".
The three-hectare grounds which host the shrine belong to St. Joseph College Foundation, run by priests of the Congregation of the Disciples of the Lord. The foundation bought the land in 1990 and turned it into a garden. Sukresna said the priests have always given flowers and fruit of the land for traditional Hindu religious festivals.
Astra recalled that when an economic crisis hit the country in 1997, the foundation decided to reduce its employees' working hours and wages rather than dismiss them; regular conditions were reinstated once the crisis passed. About proselytism, Astra said: "There is no proselytism here, by anyone".
Sukresna added that "all religions teach goodness and no Hindu feels threatened by the shrine". After Mass, Fr Willy Malim Batuah, president of the foundation, recounted the history of the place: the organisation bought the land in 1990 "to bring the Good News of happiness and peace" to the people, which "does not mean baptizing non-Catholics". The shrine was completed in 1997, but the official opening took place only today "because now we are finally clear about the response of the local people".
SOURCE Bali's first Marian shrine inaugurated after 8 year wait (AsiaNews.it 5/11/05)
|The month of May is Our Lady’s month and Christians suddenly become pilgrims rather than tourists as they flock in their tens of thousands to Marian shrines throughout the whole of the Christian world. An extremely large number travel to Lourdes, France; others go to Fatima, Portugal|
550 Blessed Virgin Mary and Joan of Arc
in the sixth century
Verdun: a chapel under the protection of the had replaced a statue of the Gaulish Mercury.
In 709 a monastery dedicated to St. Michael was established on Mount de Châtillon by Vulfoad, mayor of the palace under Childeric, King of Austrasia. Abbot Maragdus, a friend of Charlemagne, transferred it in 819 to the borders of the Meuse, thus founding the town of Saint-Mihiel. The reform inaugurated by the congregation of Saint Vanne was introduced into this monastery in 1606 by Cardinal Charles de Lorraine, one of its abbots. Cardinal de Retz was also an abbot of Saint-Mihiel and occupied the castle of Commercy, where he wrote his "Memoirs on the Fronde", and which castle he restored and afterwards sold to Charles IV of Lorraine.
The castle and town of Vaucouleurs belonged to the lords of Joinville, one of whom wrote the life of St. Louis.
At this town Joan of Arc presented herself to Robert de Baudricout, offering her services against the English who were then besieging Orléans.
Before the foundation of the Fortress of Montmedy there existed, on the rock dominating the town, a chapel under the protection of the Blessed Virgin which in the sixth century had replaced a statue of the Gaulish Mercury.
The Diocese of Verdun figures largely in the history of art, owing to the sculptor Ligier Richier (1500-72), a pupil of Michelangelo.
1598 1st Shrine of Our Lady in the U.S. -- Our Lady of La Leche
The Shrine of Our Lady of la Leche is the first shrine dedicated to Our Blessed Mother in the United States. The devotion to Our Lady of la Leche was brought from Spain in 1598 by the Spanish settlers of St. Augustine. The present chapel dates from 1914 and is a replica of earlier coquina chapels. It houses a replica of the statue of Our Lady of la Leche and provides visitors with a quiet place to pray.
For a more extensive history of the Shrine of Our Lady of la Leche and Mission Nombre de Dios, visit www.missionandshrine.org. There you will find information on the facilities of the Mission and Shrine, educational tours for pilgrimages and school groups and The Shrine Gift Shop.
Location 27 Ocean Avenue St. Augustine, FL 32084 (904) 824-2809 or Toll Free at 1-800-342-6529
Fax: (904) 829-0819 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Mission & Shrine Eric P. Johnson
Assistant Manager Laurie Barrancottoor to Ireland to honour Our Lady of Knock, to Poland to venerate the famous Black Madonna of Czestochowa; Italians are partial to Loreto and in the Americas thousands go to Mexico to pray at the beloved shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Shrines to the Virgin MaryFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Marian shrine)
In Christian culture and practice, a shrine to the Virgin Mary or Marian shrine is a shrine marking an apparition or other miracle ascribed to the Blessed Virgin Mary, or a site on which is centered a historically strong Marian devotion. Such locales are often the destination of pilgrimages.Many of the shrines have acquired a symbolic value for patriotism and nationalism in their area.
Among the shrines considered most significant for their apparitions:
Other shrines include:
Daughter of Mary and the Church
In France, Marian history started at a very early stage! It was actually in 40 AD when the very first evangelists set foot on the Phoenician shore (now the Marseille region). Some of Jesus’ most intimate friends were in this first boat: Lazarus, Martha, Mary of Bethany, a cousin of the Virgin Mary (to whom Mary had confided her most precious relic, the mortal remains of her mother Anna) and also some disciples. (1)
“The Virgin who will give birth”: the first message delivered by Mary in Gaul, prior to the fifth century
The first message delivered by Mary in Gaul appears to have taken place at Chartres, which was at the time the capital of the Carnute tribe. The apparition of Mary as “The Virgin who will give birth” occurred before 5 AD on the site of what is now the famous Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres. As for the first actual sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Mary renowned in Gaul was built in the fifth century, in the city of the Puy en Velay. The story has it that an ailing woman who was praying to the Mother of Christ was led by an angel to the top of one of the highest hills in the city. At this site, in response to her prayers, Mary appeared and the woman was cured. The St Mary's Chapel still sits on the spot of the miracle. In fact the city was initially named “Le Puy Marie”. Today the shrine of Our Lady of the Puy is among the most visited sites of pilgrimage in France.
Another shrine of great importance in 5th century Gaul is Notre Dame of Reims (built in 401 at the request of the bishop Saint Nicaise.) where on December 25, 496 the baptism of the recent invader and ruler of Gaul, by the bishop Saint Remi; Clovis the first king of the Franks after whom France was named. In the next few centuries Marian shrines multiplied. The most well known along the pilgrimage trail leading to Saint James of Compostela are: Our Lady of Vezelay and Our Lady of Rocamadour. Later, between the 10th and 12th centuries, imposing Gothic cathedrals dedicated to the Virgin Mary were erected: Paris, Chartres, Bourges, Reims, Laon, etc.
In the 13th century, at the wish of Louis XIII France was consecrated to Our Lady of the Assumption and Mary became one of the principal patrons of the country
Among other approved Marian apparitions in France, let us mention Our Lady of Graces who appeared in the 16th century, at Cotignac, in the Provence region, and whose pilgrimage was sabotaged by the French Revolution of 1789; but which has since fully regained its popularity. Another key moment in France's Marian history concerns the Oath of Louis XIII on February 10, 1638, consecrating France to Our Lady. As a result, Our Lady of the Assumption was declared principal patroness of France while the date of August 15, feast of Our Lady of the Assumption, was established as a national holiday. (2)
From the 17th century on the apparitions of Mary have proliferated in France. A few years before the apparition of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St Margaret Mary Alacoque at Paray le Monial in 1673, an apparition of Mary to a young shepherdess named Benoite Rencurel, was recorded in the village of the Laus (Alps) in the year 1664.
The 19th century recorded a great number of Mary’s apparitions in France…
Some important accounts of Marian apparitions in France are:
Apparition to Catherine Laboure (Rue du Bac) where Mary expressed the wish to have a "miraculous medal" struck for the faithful. In 1846, 16 years later, in the French Alps for another time, a tearful Virgin appeared to two children. Then twelve years later, in Lourdes, Mary visited Bernadette Soubirous and confirmed the new dogma of her Immaculate Conception. In 1876, in Pellevoisin, region of Berry, under the name of Mother of Mercy, Mary appears to the young Estelle Faguette whom she cures and asks to spread the devotion of the scapular.
Marian apparitions in the 20th century:
At l’Ile Bouchard, in 1957, Mary appears to four young children and asks them to pray for France, whose government was in imminent danger of a coup. France was spared in extremis from a coup d'Etat. More recently, the initiative of the Pilgrim Virgins of Notre Dame of France has given rise to a renewed Marian devotion. The pilgrimage of the statues started in September 1995 in Le Puy en Velay. Before reaching Notre Dame de Baillet in France near Paris, the statues were carried for a whole year across the country and its parishes. From there they crossed to Italy to converge in Rome, December 8, 1996, as the launching platform to the world’s 5 continents.
France's most popular Marian shrines and sanctuaries are:
Our Lady of l’Ile Bouchard
Our Lady of Laghet (diocese of Nice)
Our Lady of Victories (Paris)
Our Lady of the Laus
Our Lady of Peace
Our Lady of Lourdes
Our Lady of Reims
Our Lady of les Ardilliers at Saumur
Our Lady of Gray
Our Lady of La Treille - protectress of the Flanders
Our Lady of Lavasina - the "Lourdes" of Corsica
Our Lady of Myans - near Chambery
Our Lady of Thierenbach - in the Alsacian foothills
Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
Our Lady of the Puy en Velay
Our Lady of La Salette
Our Lady of Pontmain and Pellevoisin
Our Lady the Underground (Chartres)
Our Lady of Cotignac
Our Lady of Rocamadour
Our Lady of La Gard at Marseille
Our Lady of Happiness in Ollioules (Toulon) Oath of Louis XIII, address to the Senate
Consecration to Mary, at the Marian Congress of 1938.
Consecration to Our Lady of Corsica